I have studied herbalism for many years and enjoy using the knowledge that I have gained to create both simple and complex herbal remedies, delicious teas, tisanes and brews, and to make natural skin and hair care products. I get to share a lot of this knowledge in my weekly column on hellogiggles.com as The 21st Century Herbalist. Once a week I like to repost the column here, just in case you missed it!
Original publish date: July 05, 2012
DIY Hair Care Month begins! Years ago I was told the slathering mayonnaise on your hair will make it soft and shiny. I had to try it and it worked. Of course, I couldn’t just leave it at that. I had to improve it! I had to make my own. I’ve lost track of how many versions I’ve created but below you’ll find my favorite Herbal Mayonnaise Hair Mask recipe. For those of you that would like to keep it simple, I’ve also included the “Super-Basic” and “Basic” Mayonnaise Hair Mask recipe. All three recipes follow the same “Use” instructions below.
Super-Basic Mayonnaise Hair Mask
- 1 c. of all-natural, full-fat mayonnaise
Basic Mayonnaise Hair Mask*
- 1 large (or 2 small) egg yolk(s) at room temperature
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 5-6 tbsp. base oil of your choice (select one or a combination): olive oil, jojoba oil, grapeseed or coconut oil
Follow mixing instructions below.
*This recipe is based on the best benefit for your hair; it is not the tastiest mayonnaise for eating…though you could.
Herbal Mayonnaise Hair Mask
- 1 large (or 2 small) egg yolk(s) at room temperature – softens your hair
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar – adds shine, restores pH balance, removes residue and product build-up
- 1 tbsp. powdered** rosemary – encourages hair growth
- 1 tbsp. powdered** sage – encourages hair growth
- 1 tbsp. powdered** burdock root – softens your hair
- 1 tbsp. powdered** nettle – adds shine, encourages hair growth and moisturizes the scalp (good for dandruff)
- 1 egg white – adds shine
- For light hair: 3 tbsp. lemon or lime juice
- For dark hair: 3 tbsp. walnut hull concentrate***
- For red hair: 3 tbsp. alkanet root concentrate***