Top Menu

Homemade: Easy, All-Natural, pH Balancing Facial Toner

It’s a bonus week for Sundays Homemade!  Now that you’ve brewed your own Herbal Floral Water, you’ve got a bi-product that shouldn’t be lost down the drain.  Turn it into an all-natural, pH balancing facial toner that’s great for all skin types, especially combination and acne prone skin.

You’ll Need:

• 4 cup, seal-able container (I prefer a large mason jar)
  • 2 cups reserved Herbal Floral Water (dark water)*
  • 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 10 drops peppermint oil

*If you haven’t made the Herbal Floral Water and would like to make this toner: simmer herbs (see herbal floral water for suggested herbs) in distilled water for 1-2 hours, then follow the steps below.

1. Strain the boiled herbs and their dark water through a fine-mesh strainer, lined with cheese cloth, into a large mason jar.
  2. Add the vinegar and peppermint oil, seal the jar and shake.
  3. After cleansing your face, apply toner and let dry before applying any lotions or creams.

I like to pour some of the final mixture into a container with a smaller opening than the mason jar, making it easier to wet a cloth or cotton pad, for application. The vinegar will act as a preservative, so the smaller batch does not need to be refrigerated; however, I do like to store the remaining mixture in the refrigerator.

The apple cider vinegar in this recipe also balances the pH of your skin and neutralizes the alkaline residue left behind by soaps and cleansers.  pH balanced skin is less prone to infection, such as acne and blemishes, and is better able to maintain proper sebum levels, reducing excess dryness and/or oil production.  Apple cider vinegar does smell strong at first, but it fades quickly and I promise you won’t smell like salad dressing all day! The benefits you get, are definitely worth the temporary scent.

Your final product may be darker or lighter than mine, depending on the herbs you used to create the “dark water”. Most herbs, especially red or pink rose petals will turn brown when boiled.  If you want a lighter or clear liquid, you can use the distilled herbal floral water (recipe here) and white-wine vinegar instead.

Additional Uses: Scalp and hair rinse. Pour over hair, after conditioning, to remove product build-up, excess oil and add shine. Rinse and style as usual.  Do not use on light hair, as it may slightly darken it.

Trusted Herb Suppliers: If you don’t have access to your own homegrown or local herbs, either of these retailers can provide good quality, fairly priced herbs. Leaves and RootsMountain Rose Herbs

, , , , , , , , ,

54 Responses to Homemade: Easy, All-Natural, pH Balancing Facial Toner

1. Christine, Random Hangers blog October 19, 2011 at 9:21 pm #

Oooh, I do enjoy a good bonus! As a random aside, I also think that Dark Water should be your Indian name…

2. Karen November 2, 2011 at 10:09 pm #

Definitely going to try this recipe. AND, I love nature walks, so I’m checking that out too. What a GREAT blog!!!!!!!!!!!

• katie November 3, 2011 at 10:23 am #

Thank you so much!! It warms my heart that people are enjoying these things that I hold so dear. There’s more herbal recipes to come…stay tuned!

3. Valerie December 4, 2011 at 8:05 pm #

Hi, Katie! I just found your blog by googling all natural toner recipe. I’m excited! But I don’t know anything about using herbs and have never made my own toner before. Where I live I have very limited access to ingredients. So, how much can I adapt yours and still be good? I can get fresh rosemary and chamomile tea to simmer. And I have lavender or tea tree essential oil. Can I use that instead of the floral water and peppermint oil? Thanks so much for your help!

• katie December 4, 2011 at 8:52 pm #

I’m so glad you’re enjoying the blog! It sounds like you’ve got great ingredients for a toner. Bring 2 cups distilled water to a boil, remove from the heat and steep about 7 fresh rosemary sprigs (roll them between your palms first to release the natural oils), about 8 bags of chamomile tea (you can leave it in the bags) and if your grocery store carries Sage, use a few leaves of that too, in a covered pot for an hour. Strain the herbs out, then add either the lavender or tea tree essential oils (or a combination of both) to the apple cider vinegar and you’ll be good to go!

Rosemary strengthens capillaries, helping to refresh and rejuvenate the skin. Both Chamomile and Sage are a good, natural way to prevent and heal acne and blemishes, so are Lavender and Tea Tree Oil. If you have sensitive skin, then I would suggest using only the chamomile and lavender.

Next weekend, I’ll be making an all-natural face lotion that uses the floral water as a base. So stay tuned for that, I’ll be sure to include ingredients that are available in most grocery stores. If you need any other tips or if you have more questions, don’t hesitate to ask!

• Valerie December 4, 2011 at 9:16 pm #

Thank you, Katie!! I just think it’s so awesome to have an expert like you so easily available – thank you, thank you! I’ll head to the store now. One more question – how long will this keep?

• katie December 4, 2011 at 9:52 pm #

The apple cider vinegar acts as a natural preservative, so it will last about 3 months without refrigeration and at least 6 months in the refrigerator.

I keep a small batch in my bathroom and the rest in my refrigerator. I go through the small batch in a month, then refill from the refrigerated portion as needed.

Let me know how it turns out!

• Holly March 22, 2013 at 4:36 pm #

I’m really interested in making this recipe because I want to try to make my own toner. I’m not sure where to get the other herbs you mentioned before. Does the water have to be distilled? Can I use boiled tap water instead because I don’t know where to get distilled water? Does it matter what kind/brand of apple cider vinegar I use? Thanks for your help, this is my first time making my own skin care products.

4. Sarah Hope April 15, 2012 at 6:02 pm #

Hi Katie!
    I just recently made your lavender/chamomile lotion and love it! Thanks for the great recipe! I have some left over floral water from that… could I use that for the toner recipe instead of dark water?

• Katie Glenn April 18, 2012 at 3:16 pm #

Hi Sarah! Sorry I didn’t respond sooner, my comment notifications weren’t working. You can certainly use your leftover floral water to make a toner! I’m so glad to hear that you gave it a try and liked it. It is one of my most popular recipes, and one of my personal favorites. :)

• Sarah Hope May 10, 2012 at 8:00 pm #

Awesome! Thank you! If I keep left over floral water refrigerated, about how long do you think it will be good for?

• Katie Glenn May 10, 2012 at 8:40 pm #

I keep my leftover floral water in a mason jar, in the back of the refrigerator (the coolest part) and it stays good for about 9 to 11 weeks. If you have leftovers, you can put it in a spray bottle and spritz it on your pillow a few minutes before you go to bed. The scent of the lavender and chamomile will help calm your nervous system…and who doesn’t like that! :)

5. Sarah Hope May 13, 2012 at 8:02 pm #

Gosh, that’s a great idea! Thanks for the suggestion… I will definitely do that :) And thank you for answering all of my questions. When I start working on brewing your recipes, I always think of more questions to bombard you with. Hehe. I made the toner just this weekend and I’m really enjoying it… It smells so fresh!

• Katie Glenn May 14, 2012 at 4:50 pm #

I’m happy to help, keep the questions coming. I love that you’re giving this a try, you’re participating in a tradition that goes back thousands of years and that’s just cool!

• lillian14 July 1, 2012 at 6:54 am #

I love smelling oils before bed!! I especially love peppermint and lavendar.

6. lillian14 July 1, 2012 at 6:52 am #

Wow! Thanks for following my blog! I appreciate it! :) .Your blog is SPLENDIFEROUS! i can almost smell all the herbs and spices via internet. :p

7. Liz July 12, 2012 at 3:37 pm #

I made this toner about a month ago and I have definitely seen improvements in my skin! I don’t breakout as much and my skin is really soft!! Thank you! :)

• Katie Glenn July 12, 2012 at 7:57 pm #

Hooray!!! I love, love, love to hear that. Thanks for checking back and letting me know! :)

• Liz July 12, 2012 at 8:12 pm #

I have also been using it in conjunction with the hellogiggles facial lotion. My skin has never looked better!

• Katie Glenn July 13, 2012 at 1:42 pm #

Well now I just want to hug you! (((e-hug)))

8. QuirkyCharmedBeauty July 18, 2012 at 1:15 pm #

Really useful, thanks! Never thought of making my own toner. Love the fact you can use it on your hair too. I use a lot of moose & hairspray to keep my hair in check so this could prove really handy! :)

• Katie Glenn July 19, 2012 at 10:45 am #

Thanks for checking it out! It really makes a difference in my skin…and my hair!

9. Jennifer August 23, 2012 at 5:19 pm #

So easy to make!

10. Mridula November 5, 2012 at 10:31 am #

USEFUL INFORMATION! :-)

THANKS for liking my flash fiction, if you can leave a comment in that link

11. Emily December 13, 2012 at 1:57 pm #

Hi Katie,
    I’m learning so much from your blog! In fact, I’m hoping to make my sister a facial toner and my mom homemade lotion for Christmas using your recipes. I’ve been looking and looking and finally found a great recipe online – and it was yours!
    My question is: Could I use the floral water that would be used in the facial toner above for lotion as well? My plan is to use calendula, possibly chamomile, rosemary, sage, and lemon balm (dried from my garden) for the herbal floral water toner. What do you think? Would this combination make a good lotion as well?
    Thank you so much!

12. Nuvocleanse May 6, 2013 at 4:23 pm #

Hello there! This is my first visit to your blog!

We are a team of volunteers and starting a new initiative in a community in the same niche.

Your blog provided us useful information to work on.
    You have done a outstanding job!

13. dieta białkowa June 30, 2014 at 8:33 am #

Excellent web site you have got here.. It’s hard to find good quality writing like yours these days.
    I honestly appreciate individuals like you! Take care!!

14. gold Gym amish clothing for sale August 1, 2014 at 3:48 am #

For people who are prone to chafing should definitely go
    for tight clothing in order to avoid rubbing of clothes.
    This will help you a lot in purchasing the best and the most affordable.
    They key is finding the one that will relieve your migraine.

15. bandage dresses wholesale los angeles August 8, 2014 at 1:07 pm #

While being fashionable, several brides prefer a full skirt dress with a more exclusive style,
    and there are a lot of those you can purchase. The putting is pretty relaxed
    so it could look slightly out of place in case the bride
    is in something really fancy. At one time western wear was a way of life; the
    cowboy hat, jeans, pointy boots and uniquely western shirts for men meant that a he earned his pay by working on a farm or ranch feeding livestock,
    branding cattle, mending fences, clearing brush and moving livestock to a greener pasture.

16. marine refrigerator hunter insulation panels August 13, 2014 at 9:24 pm #

Houseboats in Echuca are ideal houseboats which have the accommodations that allow you to relax and explore the lake with all the comforts of any regular
    home. Connect “A’s” positive terminal to “B’s”
    negative terminal. You can then take your armored vehicle and cash it in at a
    chop shop, creating a nice little criminal spree combo.

17. Boca Raton free CPA supplies August 14, 2014 at 2:03 am #

The note provided that all principal and accrued interest was due in a single balloon payment at the end of the note term, and neither principal nor interest
    could be prepaid. If you have received IRS tax notice, you need not to
    be panic. Not sure if the IRS has a copy of a 1099 or W-2 wage statement.

18. boutique party dresses for toddler girls August 14, 2014 at 9:12 am #

One of the color that brought glimmering style was Black. They portion of people do not
    copy their styles from their elders or younger as they set their own style.

‘Oh, she looks amazing in that dress, but I would never be able to pull it off because of
    my ____________ ________ ‘ (insert excuse here).

19. Celebrity dress up justin bieber doll August 19, 2014 at 11:41 am #

They are a top choice for many women for the height boost and slimming effects.
    Marketing professional with more than 10 years
    of experience in different products & services, widely
    networked by which successfully launched and introduced some
    of the leading brands in India, Consumer durables, Fashion online Products For More Details :.
    The list of celebrity fashion mishaps is seemingly endless.

20. igrow 800 August 24, 2014 at 1:06 am #

This herbal solution will help you achieve picture perfect hair
    once more. Electrolysis – Electrolysis is a solution which utilizes a needle to kill
    the hair at its root. Such devices as KTP, ERBIUM, Pulse
    DYE and Alexandrite have short length of laser light waves, and
    they are very effective for removing unwanted hair on a light colored
    skin.

21. does igrow hair helmet work September 2, 2014 at 7:25 am #

- perifolliculum – cirumferential band of fine adventitial collagen that
    defines the unit. The answer is what type of diet allows you as you age to
    produce enough hydrochloric acid to digest your food properly
    so the fermenting food in your stomach doesn’t cause other degenerative and inflammatory-related diseases.
    FUE leaves only small, circular scars that heal without the need for sutures.

22. hcg weight loss kalispell September 3, 2014 at 6:44 am #

With a skilled ultrasonographer, two gestational sacs, two embryos
    and two distinct fetal heartbeats can be seen six weeks after
    the first day of the last menstrual period. There are
    a few things that must be identified about the HCG diet plan and consequently a single really should not start off using
    them without having any assistance of the homeopathic medical doctor.
    The most popular influence of technology on health is weight loss.

23. best moving companies reviews cross country September 5, 2014 at 8:03 am #

As all of us know that time is money so they take money and
    save your precious time and the hassles of shifting.
    I made sure to not choose the company with the lowest price, as they might be dodgy.
    Here comes the necessity to contract close-by movers after they are experts and powerful.

24. internet marketing business September 6, 2014 at 6:01 am #

Women’s magazines are filled with time-saving tips that apply to
    every area of our lives. Using blogs, community sites like
    Linked – In, Facebook, Flicker and You – Tube, video sharing sites and many more can benefit you in numerous ways.
    Controlling your time and energy and the zero’s
    on your paycheck is essential these days, and with this type of business you are able
    to.

25. hcg weight loss virus September 6, 2014 at 7:11 am #

Physical activities enhance the person’s physique and wellness.

With h – CG though, the body burns up excess fats to provide enough calories
    and energy. Weight loss supplements: Top 7 effective natural remedies you can try.

26. marine chest freezer nz September 7, 2014 at 3:34 pm #

You will probably recognise some or all of these as some as used
    more than others with very great success in carp
    baits:. After users select their avatar they’re transported into their apartment.

The exception to this rule is when fishing structure, there
    will always be a calm spot behind structure that cat fish rest in and it will be natural for
    your bait to settle in this area.

27. movers and shakers episodes 2012 September 15, 2014 at 1:36 am #

They come in all shapes and sizes, plus many come with attachments to make traversing stairs even a piece of cake.
    Video Production improved presented impressing are sure
    to appeal video companies’ middle and old, large and small, traditional in a valuable and meaningful subject.
    Our company knows for installing and using the best parts of auto.
    However, if they are susceptible, then try to get a feel for how the client thinks
    that the contractor has performed – even if he or she makes
    some criticisms then finish by asking what good points the contractor
    has. These kinds of facts ought to be safeguarded continually,
    all things considered, in the event a competitor happened
    to acquire these recipes and successfully reproduce them, the top firms may go belly up.

Don’t forget newspapers Believe it or not, plenty of people still advertise
    in the newspaper. As we all knows that engine is a powerful machine infect we can say
    that our vehicle is nothing without engine so engine play an important role in our vehicle.
    Our yarmulkes and Kippah Los Angeles show the distinguishing stamp of quality, and a half-century of
    practice and proficiency. When you are looking for ways to cut costs, consider turning
    to Business Electricity Prices to get the best rates.
    You must know what the data corruption is and how it occurs.

28. red bodycon dress ebay September 21, 2014 at 9:41 am #

They are a top choice for many women for the height boost and
    slimming effects. Not only is Junior sized clothing not cut for a woman’s figure, it also shows more skin that we would like.
    There are many teens that invent their own styles and aim at becoming an icon among their groups.

29. bandage dress wholesale fashion September 21, 2014 at 9:59 am #

Still, Nh, where Bartlet supported mainly because Governor a week or two words and phrases,
    among the solely a pair of advises (the second simply being the
    nation’s neighbor Vermont) in which a gubernatorial term should be only 2 years.

Belts look best with bodycon dress that have a single color for breaking the monotony of the same.

It is rightly said that anew fashion trend takes birth every day, which is promisingly true.

30. hcg weight loss therapy September 22, 2014 at 7:27 pm #

After you stop taking the diet drops, continue with the 500
    calorie diet for 3 days before adopting a 2000 calorie diet for the next 3 weeks.
    Some of the complications of adjustable gastric band post-surgical treatment
    are nausea, vomiting, gastroesophageal reflux, stoma obstruction, constipation, dysphagia,
    diarrhea, and irregular stools. ” However, dieters should understand although h – CG dieters might lose similar amount of weight comparing to those without h – CG, they tend to lose more body fat because h – CG cause dieters to lose adipose fat tissues rather than muscle or structural fat comparing to other diet programs.

31. storage businesses for sale in california September 23, 2014 at 12:12 am #

Two weeks ago our employer announced that we would be moving our
    office to a new location; this was great news considering our company had grown in number quite drastically over the last year.
    Video Production improved presented impressing are sure to appeal video companies’ middle
    and old, large and small, traditional in a valuable and meaningful subject.
    No trip to Miami would be complete without a shopping trip, and there’s no shortage
    of options, with shopping areas catering for every style and budget.
    For this reason many people make an effort to be brokers of freight companies.

They are important political cities that define national politics in their
    respective country. Carpet cleaning in best can be done through any cleaning machine.

Solar panel are considered a green building material because they use renewable energy from the sun to generate electricity.
    The services that clients can hire are: packing, loading, unloading,
    rearrangement, unpacking, transportation, storage, insurance,
    warehouses, etc. The units send to the client are taken back to the location where
    the containers are kept in secured environment.
    Human resources is a large, varying discipline so it stands to reason that many who come into the field come from varied
    background.

32. Kristina September 23, 2014 at 3:13 am #

Magnificent items from you, man. I’ve be aware your stuff prior
    to and you are just too magnificent. I really like what you’ve acquired right here, certainly like what you’re saying and the way through which you assert it.

You are making it entertaining and you continue to care for to
    stay it smart. I can’t wait to read much more from you.
    This is actually a terrific site.

33. Hcg Weight Loss Arlington Va September 23, 2014 at 7:21 am #

He relates his the latest practical experience dealing with thousands of patients with the HCG diet in his new book, New Pounds
    and Inches which is available at his web site,. and water based vegetables in their
    diet and excludes the food group that has high crab
    and high calories. Yes, HCG is one highly effective product that is capable of giving its
    consumers a good result from the very first day of its consumption.

34. trelleborg marine systems September 23, 2014 at 12:17 pm #

Islamorada tarpon fishing involves the fishing of an prehistoric rare fish tarpon through the scientific name
    Magalops Atlanticus which is a prehistoric fish considered to be one in every of the
    diverse & interesting creatures across the country which can be present in both side of Atlantic
    also referred to as as the tarpum tarpon or else the silver king due to it’s majestic appearance
    & colour which lays 15 million eggs. Keep in mind the Cooper Mountain resort design their activities.
    You will catch red fish, spotted sea trout, pompano, snook,
    mangrove snapper, Spanish mackerel, small black-tip sharks, small bonnet
    sharks, sheephead & in cooler weather the odd king mackerel.

35. dunnage box braids hairstyles for black women September 23, 2014 at 4:01 pm #

She has a charm that is slightly reminiscent of the childhood favourite Rosie and Jim’s Ragdoll, with a modernized interior
    to suit the 21st century traveller. At times, your sailing instructor may need to issue an order and have it followed immediately.
    Here are the guild quests along with a handy location and a
    listing of the reward for completion.

36. igrow sdsu September 24, 2014 at 11:35 am #

They want you to come to the salon on a regular basis so they
    tell you that you need to get a haircut every four to six weeks,
    but it’s just a way for them to make more money. Data coverage: market sizes
    (historic and forecasts), company shares, brand
    shares and distribution data. Refrain or limit the amount of heat applied
    to your hair through the use of blow dryers, curling irons,
    straighteners, etc.

37. Niki September 26, 2014 at 3:05 am #

It’s hard to find well-informed people in this particular subject, however, you sound like you know what you’re talking about!
    Thanks

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. HelloGiggles – Lotion Making Month: Brewing Floral Waters – Video Tutorial - March 15, 2012

[...] your lotion acne fighting properties.  They can be used to create facial toners, like this one: pH balancing facial toner.  You can also make hair rinses, room fresheners and many other wonderful [...]

2. HelloGiggles – Apple Cider Vinegar for Shiny Hair and pH Balanced Skin - April 5, 2012

[...] with an herbal floral water made from a variety of herbs that compliment your skin type, like this Easy, All-Natural, pH Balancing Facial Toner recipe.  I don’t recommend using this toner on very sensitive skin or sunburned skin.  When [...]

3. Drying herbs and pondering | growcraftywild - January 23, 2013

[...] is a pH balancing toner that I am going to try http://katienormalgirl.com/2011/10/04/homemade-easy-ph-balancing-facial-toner/ This gal has some incredible recipes and [...]